Monday, May 09, 2011

Shed - Part 4: Roof Framing

Well, I finally got the rafters installed. I notched the rafters along the top, but I left the lower end unnotched. Here's a photo of the first rafter in place while I traced the notch.


Here are a couple of process photos.


The rafters overhang the front by one foot. They overhang the back by two feet. I'll be storing ladders and various yard tools on the back so the extra overhang will provide additional protection. I used brackets called hurricane ties on each of the rafters to connect it to the walls. At least the rafters will stay connected to the walls in a wind storm even if the roof panels get pulled off.




The rafter blocking has screened holes for cross-breeze ventilation. This completes the framing. The next step is to install the roof panels. Then I'll tackle the sheathing, the window, and the door.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Daddy's tinkertoys.
    Are you completing just one section at a time?
    Could you have put windows or something to let in the light in the space between the front side of the rafters and the wall up on top?
    And you better watch out - you have some small growth on your ladders! Sometimes at the bottom, sometimes at the top, tch.
    k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 PM

    Oh yeah, it's beautiful!!!!!
    k

    ReplyDelete